Thursday, June 3, 2010

Why This Myth Matters to Me

As mentioned in the Welcome post, I became interested in the topic because I myself believed that teenagers are inherently less capable of making good decisions when my intro psychology professor told us that the brain won’t fully develop until we become 22 year-old.

I would like to become a psychologist or at least use what I am learning at college, so I want to be as much accurate as I can in my comments on anything related to psychology. With a degree in psychology, I feel I have responsibility in doing my best to be accurate when people ask me as a psychology major. In addition, it is important for me to be able to admit that psychology may not have revealed much about the human psych yet. If asked to evaluate how “solid” the discipline is as a science, I do not think many psychological experiments can accurately control human behaviors like other scientific disciplines, since it is almost impossible to create the identical environments and people in a lab. So, tackling with this myth has reminded me of the importance in being able to always consider alternative explanations to any psychological findings.

In addition, I am old enough to have my own kids. If I do have some kids in the future, I would like to make a fair judgment on to what extent I am responsible for their behaviors. If I did not think about the myth in the blog, I would have probably used the myth to give up disciplining my kids and have just strictly supervised them, depriving them of any freedom.

1 comment:

  1. First, I just want to say thank you for your feedback on my blog. I think it's great that you’re interested in Positive Psychology. I actually discuss an article on positive psychology on my read this not that post. It's really good; it called "Positive Psychology Progress: Empirical Validation of Interventions." One of the studies done in the article was actually a class activity we did; on the day we discussed happiness.

    ReplyDelete